Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thoughts on Multiple Intelligences




I had an idea and presumptions of what I would find in the results after taking the Multiple Intelligences test.  However it was intriguing and even helpful in a way to see the actual results laid out and organized into specific categories. 

The product of my answers showed that I scored high in the linguistic, musical, interpersonal, and intrapersonal aspects of intelligence (musical being the highest).  I expected that to be the case, considering my high interest in music of all sorts.  Both of my parents are band directors and music educators.  I was a member of the Alabama Boy Choir for many years, started piano lessons at an early age, and started playing bass drum in the school band in 4th grade.  From there I learned to play the baritone horn, trombone and tuba, continuing through to playing in the Million Dollar Band for 4 years.  In my highschool years, I also wanted to be in a rock band and learned to play bass guitar and a little electric guitar.  I appreciate many genres of music, as long as it's good and speaks to me, whether it's rap, punk rock, blue grass, or classical.



The areas that showed a low score were no surprise either.  Spatial/visual, bodily/kinesthetic, and (last actually being the least this time) logical/mathematical.  I've always known that I enjoyed history and English in school, presumably due to doing well and getting good grades.  Math and science, however, were my 2 greatest nemesis in grade school.  They seemed to team up like an evil duo of numbers and equations.




I'm obviously not the most graceful person either.  It isn't uncommon for me to find weird bruises and cuts from bumping into things are work or around the house.  Not to mention the countless times I've gone down on my longboard, on account of poor balance and foot control.

Having your intelligences dissected and displayed in a simple and easy to understand way is helpful in a couple of ways.  Not only am I shown what I am naturally good at, which helps me to focus and excel on these areas, but it defines what my weakness are.  With this knowledge I can try to work on those weak areas and expand my skills, little by little.  I can even try using my stronger intelligences to help improve the weaker ones.  For instance, I may try applying my musical intelligence and relate it to math equations to better understand and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment