Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Little Thing that Drives me Crazy is....

CELL PHONES!  They drive me nuts.  And ok, I'll admit that I have an iPhone and I use it way more than I should.  Guilty!  I know we're in the digital age, and the age of constant and immediate communication.  Everyone owns a TV, cell/smart phone, laptop, desktop, multiple gaming consoles, etc.  It is impossible to avoid new technology and ignore all the advances of the past 30 years.  However, I feel there should be some sort of etiquette that accompanies the constant rush of new electronics in modern society.

My phone is almost always on silent, occasionally on vibrate, and very rarely with the ringer turned on.  I hate hearing obnoxious distorted/canned ringtones everywhere I go.  I can't stand the sound of a mini earthquake rattling on top of someone's desk in the middle of class (and then reoccurring about every 7 minutes).  And most of all, it infuriates me when I'm at dinner or in the car with someone, and instead of carrying on a pleasant, face-to-face, personal conversation, he's jawin' back and forth with a block of plastic and silicone that's emitting tiny amounts of radiation into their ear hole.



Instead immersing your life in the digital world by playing a gameboy, texting, or Facebook stalking all day, trying looking up.  Wake up early, go hiking, and watch the sunrise.  Go a week without a Facebook status update, or a Tweet.  Maybe even start small, and make a phone call over a text.  It is at least a step in the right direction.  I'm not trying to say technology is bad, or that we shouldn't use it for all that it is worth.  Technology is fantastic, and I panic a little inside when my phone dies and I don't have access to a charger.  But what I'm saying is maybe we shouldn't have anxiety attacks when the internet goes down for an hour, or your phone dies. 

How did we get so dependent on having to be able to contact anyone and everyone, everywhere, any time?  We tend to even get frustrated when our friend's phone has died and we can't reach them.  I remember when I was growing up, if you wanted to reach someone you called their house phone and asked to speak to Johnny.  I also remember when my family got its first mobile phone.  We paid by the minute, and it was for emergencies only.  Good luck having service if you were inside the mall or Wal-Mart.  I didn't receive my own cell phone until I turned 16 and started driving myself to school.  It's sole purpose was making phone calls (not taking photos, sending texts, or playing games and music).  My sister, who teaches third grade, tells me how she takes up iPhones from 8 year old's all the time.



  In today's society, if I want to relay a message, don't worry because I'll call your cell and leave a voicemail.  In case you don't get around to checking it, I'll shoot you a quick text saying "wut u 2, bro?"  Annnd just to touch all my bases, you can be expecting a facebook message, e-mail, and a fax.  You're only safe in the grave...  but only until Apple works out all the bugs for the Ouija Board App!

No comments:

Post a Comment