Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Things that Inspire Me

Still images obviously can inspire and evoke emotions and memories differently from one person to the next.  For me these photos are inspiring.  The tiny bugs on the lily and the very detailed close up on the dragon fly help me to reflect on the fact that there is life everywhere, big and small.  My surroundings seems huge, but compared to the rest of the world, or the universe I'm no bigger than miniscule beetles crawling on a flower. 

Which is also why the tree is moving.  With a huge trunk and many outstretching, tangling limbs, it towers over any man or woman.  As it continues to grow taller and grow older, it also continues to breathe life into the atmosphere and provides nutrients and homes for other living creatures.  We should be able to imitate the trees by being an example of life, vivid colors, strength, support, and shelter.

Other emotions I get from these photos contradict themselves.  The one of Bob Marley smiling, makes me reflect on his music and how he lived.  "Don't worry about a thing, because everything little thing is going to be alright."  Such simple, yet powerful words define how he lived is life, and brings a since of happiness, and tranquility.  However, if you pair that with the picture of the homeless woman on the street, eating a small meal surrounded by what one can only assume is all of her belongs, gives me a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.  The fear of not having a place to stay or not being able to find a job is depressing and stressful.  I feel guilty knowing I've wasted water, or thrown food away when others could have used it.

Then there's the fear of the dark, or the unknown.  What causes me the most anxiety in life is the unknown.  The photo of the tunnel leading into darkness reminds me that its hard to know what's ahead of you in the dark tunnel of life.  How do you prepare yourself when your future is masked in darkness?  All the mysteries and fears rush into my mind, as to whether or not I'll find a job or be able to make a living.  Can I be creative and witty enough to find a place in the world, or will I find myself eating a can of beans, bundled up under a bridge?

Two more pictures I added are focused on the eyes.  You see the picture of the woman who must cover everything but her eyes.  Yet from the picture you feel that she is beautiful, just from seeing the intensity of her eyes.  I find this interesting and inspiring.  So many times a woman's beauty is focused on certain parts of the body, or even the body as a whole.  This expresses beauty in a somewhat nonconventional form, instead of focusing on body image or pleasing facial features.  You can see so much character in a person by looking into their eyes.  That is also why I added the black and white photo of the XCU of someone's eye.  It is very detailed and reminds me how intricate and different (like a thumb print) each individual's eyes are.  Again, a wonderful depiction of beauty.

The two movie posters I added to the blog also have very different feelings.  Where the Wild Things Are reminds me of being a kid, and the innocence of ignorance and imagination.  The wonderment and excitement of new and undiscovered things make me miss childhood, and the fun and lack of responsibility and care it brings.  However, you have the poster of American Gangster, which reminds me of underground organized crime, and having consequences to my actions.  Though suave, cool, and mature, there is also cruelty and danger in the adult world.  No more imagination or fun, but rather guns, responsibility, and the gritty, dog-eat-dog world of reality.















No comments:

Post a Comment